The Milk Bottle Grocery in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, was a small grocery store on an oddly shaped corner with a giant metal Braum’s milk bottle on its roof. The store was built in 1930, and the milk bottle was added to draw attention to the store in 1948. Since it was more visible to passing auto traffic on U.S. Route 66, the addition of the milk bottle not only improved business, but added to the charm of the historic roadside attraction filled highway. The Milk Bottle Grocery is one of only a few triangular buildings in Oklahoma City and that alone should make it a noteworthy roadside attraction.
Classen Boulevard where the grocery is located cuts diagonally through the city, breaking up the system of grids that make up the streets. Since it sits on a small triangle piece of property, it was known as the Triangle Grocery from 1930 when it was built and 1948 when the milk bottle was added. Once the milk bottle was added there really was no way it could be called anything other than The Milk Bottle Grocery.
The Milk Bottle Grocery was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 5, 1998, and is in the process of being restored to its former glory. There was a brief period where The Saigon Baguette (a Vietnamese sandwich shop) occupied the space, but it has unfortunately closed.