Tres Shannon and Kenneth “Cat Daddy” Pogson, the owners of Voodoo Doughnut started their doughnut journey in the small Los Angeles suburb of Pico Rivera, California. Upon their return to Portland, the two started building the first Voodoo Doughnut shop in Portland’s Old Town neighborhood.
Voodoo Doughnut is an internationally known independent doughnut shop based in Portland, Oregon. Known for its pink boxes and wild flavor combinations, Voodoo Doughnut opened their original location opened its doors in 2003. Though they offer more than 100 varieties, but it was the NyQuil Glazed doughnut and the Vanilla Pepto Crushed Tums doughnut (no longer available), that first brought attention to their shop. The small flagship Portland,Oregon shop temporarily closed in April 2011 for an extensive remodeling and expanded from 750 square feet (70 m2) to 2,300 sq ft (210 m2).
Voodoo Doughnut Facts
- Voodoo Doughnut offers legal wedding services, complete with doughnuts and coffee for the reception.
- The Los Angeles Times noted that Voodoo is an international tourist attraction.
- The company maintains two shops and a cart in Portland, and shops in Eugene, Denver, Austin, Universal City, and Orlando.
- In March 2017, the company opened its first location in California at Universal CityWalk Hollywood.
- In December 2013, the company opened its first location outside of Oregon on Colfax Avenue in Denver on Friday the 13th.
- Most Voodoo Doughnut locations accept cash only.
- On December 24, 2008, Voodoo’s “Portland Creme” was designated as Portland’s “Official City Doughnut” by a resolution introduced by Portland Mayor Tom Potter.