The Hash, Marihuana and Hemp Museum opened its doors in 1985 in Amsterdam and has been sharing the benefits, history, and folklore of cannabis ever since. The museum features many antique tools used for production of hemp rope, paper, and textiles. And using a variety of media, the history and the modern use of cannabis is covered in depth more educational than traditionally entertaining.
The Hash, Marihuana and Hemp Museum is really dedicated to learning how cannabis has played an important role around the world, and how it could be a plant that changes the world in may ways. Visitors also have the opportunity to learn more about cannabis cultivation and botany at the museum’s indoor garden.
A variety of smoking devices ranging from antiques to modern handmade pipes do their best entertain, but there is plenty of history and information to keep non-smokers interested. The pipe and roach clip collection is one of the more popular attraction at the museum, but an 1836 Dutch Bible made of hemp is considered by many to the most historically important.
While it seems that a museum located in the Red Light District of Amsterdam and dedicated to cannabis should be slightly underground, seedy, and fun, it’s definitely more classroom than reggae fest. Rick Steves, the famous world traveler and guide book author noted that the museum was “small and somewhat overpriced, educational but not very entertaining”.
Hash, Marihuana and Hemp Museum Facts
- In 2012 the museum opened a second location in Barcelona, The Hash Marihuana Cáñamo & Hemp Museum.
- The Hash, Marihuana & Hemp Museum is located at Oudezijds Achterburgwal 148, and is open daily.
- Like many museums, children under 13 are admitted free when accompanied by an adult.
- Located in De Wallen, Amsterdam, Netherlands, the museum has hosted more than two million visitors since it opened.
- David Teniers the Younger’s painting, Hemp-Smoking Peasants in a Smoke House from 1660 is one of the oldest exhibitions.
- The Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum is frequently listed in Amsterdam travel guides as a must see destination.